This church was formed on October 16, 1895 as a branch of The First Church of Christ, Scientist in Boston, Massachusetts. The church purchased the lot at 1701 Franklin Street for $8,000 and the cornerstone was laid on May 1, 1900. The church dedication was held on January 5, 1902. After 114 years at the corner of 17th and Franklin Streets in downtown Oakland, the membership sold the historic building on December 23, 2015
In our early days…
The church architectural style is Romanesque designed by architect Henry A. Schulze. The exterior of the church is Nevada lime stone. The architect, builder, painter and decorator were all Christian Scientists and members of the church.
All of the art glass windows were made in Chicago, Illinois by the firm of Flannigan and Biedeveg. An example is the large window in the auditorium, titled A Little Child Shall Lead Them.
Our last service at 1701 Franklin Street was held on Sunday, February 14, 2016. We are currently temporarily meeting at Tenth Church of Christ, Scientist, 1880 Mountain Blvd. Oakland, CA while we work out the details of our new location.
We look forward to continuing to serve the Oakland community as we move forward.